Clean Air Bishopston's mission is to build a strong community awareness and demand for clean air in Bishopston, Bristol, UK.
Our vision is a Bishopston with clean air supporting the health and quality of life of future generations.
Our aims: educate – advocate – agitate – communicate – investigate.
Our objectives: we are currently working on four initial sub-projects:-
- Encourage more walking in Bishopston
- Campaign for more effective bus lanes through Bishopston
- Identify and promote community transport improvements
- Create an e-portal for Clean Air Bishopston
Our ethos is to be an informal agent for change. A community group that: is inclusive; has positive energy; can be creative; has conviction that change is possible but realises that the journey is long and the individual steps may be quite small.
It will also be resilient enough to cope with setbacks along the way but will balance any setbacks by celebrating each success, seeking to inspire other communities through its leadership.
Our policies include:-
- Engage with all sections of the Bishopston community, including children, students and traders
- Avoid over-ambitiousness but set limited/realistic/achievable goals
- Focus on self-help community-led bottom-up actions
- Focus on Bishopston but
- keep city-wide and broader contexts in mind (“act locally, think globally”)
- connect with/reach out to/learn with other Bristol communities
- Avoid duplicating what others are doing but localise it and signpost ‘out’
- Activities should be knowledge-based and evidence-driven
- Creating a “wrapper” for what’s already happening (in constituent groups and beyond)
- Prioritise sustainability and health – looking out for kids and leaving a healthy legacy for our grandchildren
- Allow for emergence – don’t try everything all at once
- Work up from public meeting outcomes but don’t be limited by them and take critical approach.
Our development plan is to stay focused on the deliberately-limited initial activities set out in our vision and goals. We might later add additional activities to our portfolio, but only when and if a leader for each can be found and will join our team.
We are working to enhance the representativeness of our team, which is inadequate at present.
We'll continue to widen, and work closely with others in, our network.